10th Annual Palmetto Peanut Boil
Saturday, September 30, 2017 on the 2900 block of Devine Street
Registration is free but we reserve the right to limit the number of teams. Teams will be registered on a first come, first serve basis with a maximum of 4 people per team.
REGISTRATION DEADLINE IS SEPTEMBER 15th
HOW IT WORKS:
Teams will arrive on site at 9:00am, and each team is required to cook a minimum of 50 pounds of peanuts. The event opens to the public at noon and you must have peanuts available to serve at this time. We ask that you pre-cook 25lbs and cook 25lbs on site. Your pre-cooked nuts must be the same style that you will cook on site and submit for judging. This allows peanuts to be served the first few hours of the event while the competition is ongoing.
Teams may offer a small sample of 1 or 2 nuts to guests (we will provide sample cups). You’ll want to provide just enough for them to want to purchase a full bag! Teams will also be given Ziploc bags to fill and sell for one token ($4) each. Guests will pay for all purchases with tokens, so teams will not be required to handle money. Each team will hold on to their tokens (a large container will be provided for you), and a PPB worker will collect them at the end of the day. Awards for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place will be given based on the total number of tokens collected.
NEW THIS YEAR!
A new award will be given for the ‘Most Spirited Team.’ Be creative, and show everyone why your team is the most fun….the winner will receive a $100 cash prize. This award will be presented at 11:30 am (just before the event begins) so please have your tent ready to be judged.
Cash prizes for 1st, 2nd, & 3rd place will be based on the total number of tokens collected (i.e. bags of peanuts sold) by each team. Winners will be announced no later than 6:00 pm.
- 1st Place Brent Davis Award = Primo Oval XL400 Ceramic Grill (value $1300)
- 2nd Place = $300.00
- 3rd Place = $200.00
EACH TEAM IS REQUIRED TO PROVIDE:
- A minimum of 50lbs of nuts - if you are making multiple styles, you must have 50lbs of each recipe.
- All cooking equipment, including propane, burner, pot, utensils (there is no electricity or water source on site)
- Set-up materials for your space, including table, chairs, tent (if desired)
- 10 lbs of weight (sand bags, cinder blocks) per tent leg and a fire extinguisher
- Sign with team name (and/or name of nut recipe)
- Tent and table decorations
THE PALMETTO PEANUT BOIL WILL PROVIDE:
- Sample cups
- Ziploc bags for selling nuts
- Container for collect tokens
- T-shirt for each team member
- Breakfast for each team member
There will be a brief team meeting the morning of the event at 9:00 am. At least one member from each team must be present. During the meeting, we will give each team their supplies, give a quick overview of the day and be there to answer any questions teams might have.
Rules subject to change pending approval of the Fire Marshal.
Please call Jim Mishoe (704-649-5358), Nick Galante (803-518-6918) or Ashley Aldebol (803-920-0457) with any questions or concerns.