10th Annual Palmetto Peanut Boil
Saturday, September 30, 2017 on the 2900 block of Devine Street
Registration is free but we reserve the right to limit the number of teams. Teams will be registered on a first come, first serve basis with a maximum of 4 people per team.
REGISTRATION DEADLINE IS SEPTEMBER 15th
HOW IT WORKS:
Teams will arrive on site at 9:00am, and each team is required to cook a minimum of 50 pounds of peanuts. The event opens to the public at noon and you must have peanuts available to serve at this time. We ask that you precook 25lbs and cook 25lbs on site. Your precooked nuts must be the same style that you will cook on site and submit for judging. This allows peanuts to be served the first few hours of the event while the competition is ongoing.
Teams will sell a sample of nuts to guests for $1. This will be a small serving of 2-3 nuts and sample cups will be provided. You want to provide just enough for them to want to purchase a full bag! Teams will also be given Ziploc bags to fill and sell for $4 each. Guests will pay with tokens, so teams will not have to handle money. Each team will hold on to their tokens, and will be collected by a PPB worker later in the day. The team that has the most tickets is the winner of the People's Choice award.
NEW THIS YEAR!
Our friends at Senn Brothers Produce are giving 10% off peanuts purchased for this year's competition. All you have to do is present your confirmed team registration at the time of purchase. Senn Brothers is located at the State Farmers Market.
- Judging for 1st, 2nd, & 3rd place will begin at 3:30pm.
- Winners will be announced no later than 6:00pm.
- Cash prizes will be given for 1st, 2nd, 3rd place, and People's Choice
EACH TEAM IS REQUIRED TO PROVIDE:
- A minimum of 50lbs of nuts - if you are making multiple styles, you must have 50lbs of each recipe.
- All cooking equipment, including propane, burner, pot, utensils (there is no electricity or water source on site)
- Set-up materials for your space, including table, chairs, tent (if desired)
- 10 lbs of weight (sand bags, cinder blocks) per tent leg and a fire extinguisher
- Sign with team name (and/or name of nut recipe)
- Teams shall provide his/ her own table decorations if desired
THE PALMETTO PEANUT BOIL WILL PROVIDE:
- Sample cups
- Ziploc bags for selling nuts
- Baskets to collect tokens
- T-shirt for each team member
- Breakfast for each team member
There will be a brief team meeting the morning of the event at 9:00am. At least one member from each team must be present. During the meeting, we will give each team their supplies, give a quick overview of the day and be there to answer any questions teams might have.
Rules subject to change pending approval of the Fire Marshal.
Please call Jim Mishoe (704-649-5358) or Ashley Aldebol (803-920-0457) with any questions or concerns.